Tuesday, March 16, 2010

New Moon Banishment


Ram Dass once said, "if you think you're enlightened go spend a weekend with your family." Well, although I am not planning on achieving enlightenment in this lifetime, I try to be a spiritually minded person and sensitive to the beliefs and opinions of others. I don't parade around spouting my brand of spirituality and yet I don't hide it either. My immediate family includes some self righteous siblings who usually don't give me the time of day, unless they are trying to convince me that the Catholic religion we grew up with is the source of their success and happiness and that my path will lead me to eternal damnation and hell. Little do they realize that in their criticisms of me and their fear of my way of life they are the promoters of the Hell that I don't choose to believe in. That being said, the negativity that comes my way, however, still has the power to push my buttons and make me feel mad, resentful, and down-right agitated. I could verbally fight back, Goddess knows I have learned to be comfortable with my darker side, but spiritually speaking, what goes around comes around and I hate confrontational merry go rounds. Lucky for me there is a New Moon, so I will be able to take the negative thoughts I have, put them down on red parchment, and then burn them in my cauldron. I will then recite the Charge of the Goddess to remind me of who is in charge of my life and then the ashes will be scattered out into the cold night air (along with the liberations I will offer to my numinous friends). In my mind "family" is a term for those people who love and support you unconditionally... perhaps I should just banish those relationships that just bring me down.

1 comment:

  1. I love that quote from Ram Dass. And as for banishing family: easier said than done, I'm afraid. But in the words of Neitzsche: What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.

    I have had alot of practise dealing with the same sort of thing. It is impossible to get through to people who don't want to see your point of view. They are happy living inside their box and trying to coax them out is just an exercise in frustration for everyone.

    ReplyDelete