Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sex as Religion

I was never a fan of the word religion as it conjures up images of patriarchal practices and silly costumes... and outmoded dogmas recited by rote. However taken as one definition " the ritual observance of faith", I would have to say that pretty much sums up my beliefs about the sacred act of sexual communion. In my way, there is celebration of both the male and female spirit, as god and goddess from whom we seek advice, give thanks, and explore the depths of the human condition. I can understand both powers at work in different ways that adds to the great spirit of the All (which is such a mind boggling concept that there are no suitable words to talk about it). Sex is such a powerful spiritual celebration when enjoyed to the fullest, and it is my belief that it will bring you closer to the Divine than any other religious ceremony... especially those that condemn the act itself. Why do many of the major religions put such harsh rules on such a joyous and natural gift from the gods and goddesses? It is all a matter of power... they want to sell you your salvation... if we were all solitary practitioners think of the lost revenue. It is no coincidence that the word intercourse can mean coitus or it can also mean an interchange of thoughts or feelings. Here is key that turns the whole experience from a physical pleasure to a sacred celebration... the communion (intimate communication) that occurs before, during , and after sex. In my brand of religion there are no rules or boundaries here... except one, "as it harm none  do as you will." There is great solitary sex to be had, and great sharing sex to be had and the frequent rituals of both is one way to become closer to the ecstasy of the Divine thing that cannot be talked about. Try to think of anything that comes close to that wave of electrical excitement and then convince me that dogmatic rules should be placed on such a natural expression of human truth... and I'll tell you your dogma is barking up the wrong tree.

2 comments:

  1. It's really good to read this coming from another Witch. I particularly liked these passages:

    "Sex is such a powerful spiritual celebration when enjoyed to the fullest, and it is my belief that it will bring you closer to the Divine than any other religious ceremony..."

    "There is great solitary sex to be had, and great sharing sex to be had and the frequent rituals of both is one way to become closer to the ecstasy of the Divine thing that cannot be talked about."

    I discovered the connection between sexual ritual and enlightenment (and therefore divine intimacy, from which enlightenment comes) quite by accident. Many years ago, I was chatting with a woman online and we sort of glided into an impromptu Great Rite. I was surprised by the power of it. After it was over, I walked around in a sort of daze; and that afternoon, a very unusual Samhain ritual sort of spilled out of me onto paper. More significantly, a day or two later, I was watching the evening news -- which was totally unrelated -- and suddenly the answer to a theological question that had stumped me for SIX YEARS suddenly popped into my head.

    I don't believe, as many seem to, that sexual ritual is something only for people who are mature in the Craft. On the contrary, I think it's especially beneficial to people who are new, putting them on the fast track in their spiritual life. I think people in our culture have a ton of sexual hang-ups, and that's the reason people have (mistakenly) thought that sexual ritual is only for people who are spiritual mature. It isn't spiritual maturity that's the issue, but psychological maturity.

    It seems obvious to me that the Great Rite is the perfect initiatory rite; but that's another issue, and this reply is already long enough.

    Thanks for your post; it was really encouraging!

    Blessed Be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Me for your personal and perceptive comment. Sometimes the world seems a very baffling place to me. Many people are so concerned with judgements on what other people are doing sexually that they fail to explore the beauty of what is meant for themselves. I'm glad I could give you words of encouragement here. Brightest blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete